Athlete's Cookbook - Athlete Recipes
Salmon and Coriander Pasta
- high carbohydrate
- moderate fat
- good source of omega -3
This pasta meal is one I actually made up myself. Coriander is one of my favourite herbs (along with basil). I use it a lot when cooking Asian stir-fry dishes, but it also goes really well in this salmon dish. The dish is so quick to prepare it will only take 1/2 an hour, and it doesn't require any tricky preparation techniques. It is a high carbohydrate meal as it is based on pasta, and is moderate fat due to the cream it contains (a tip below to reduce this). There is a range for the amount of cream in the recipe because you can reduce or increase the amount depending on how 'creamy' you like your pasta. This will also effect the fat content. The recipe asks for tinned salmon, but if you're not on a budget you could also use fresh salmon.
- 250g fettuccine
- 3/4 cup sliced green beans
- 1/2 – 1 cup light thick cream
- 1 tsps brown sugar
- 1 small lime; 1/4 cup juice and 1 Tbs grated rind
- 1 bunch of coriander, chopped
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 400g tin salmon
This meal is a great one for athletes with its high carbohydrate content. If you are wanting a lower energy meal, you can make the recipe to serve 3 and include a side salad to increase the fibre and nutrient density. To reduce the fat content for athletes who are wanting to reduce skinfold levels, or keep them low, replace the cream with low-fat evaporated milk, which has a much lower fat percentage and still has a creamy texture. The green beans can be replaced with another green vegetable like snow peas or even broccoli!
- Cook the pasta, adding the beans in the last few minutes so they are bright green
- Meanwhile heat a splash of olive oil in a large frying pan and fry the onions and garlic for a few minutes
- Add cream, lime rind, lime juice, sugar, coriander and salmon, heat till warm
- Drain the beans and pasta, add to the pan and toss well
- Serve with cracked pepper and grated Parmesan cheese.
Tags: FISH, HIGH CARB, MAIN COURSE, PASTA AND NOODLES