Athlete's Cookbook - Athlete Recipes
Sweet Potato Frittata
- High protein
- Simple to make
- Highly nutritious
This simple recipe is so easy to make, and is fabulous for any meal, any time. I particularly like it for taking with me on a picnic, as you can prepare and cook it the night before, then cut it up and enjoy it as finger food with a variety of other nibblies. It is highly nutritious and is one of those dishes where you can use anything in your fridge or pantry as ingredients.
(serves 4 small appetites or 2 hungry athletes)
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 tsp dried, or 4 sprigs of fresh parsley
- a dash of chili if desired (dried)
- 1 small sweet potato, cubed
- 1/2 knob of broccoli, cut into florets
- 6 eggs
- 1/3 cup light milk
- 1/2 cup light cheddar cheese
This simple dish is great for athletes, as it is so easy to prepare and make. You can whip it up after a hard training session as a recovery meal, as it is an excellent source of protein, balanced with some carbohydrate and other vegetables.
- microwave the potato so it is cooked and soft
- whisk the eggs and milk, add pepper and a little salt to taste
- fry the onions and garlic in a dash of olive oil, till soft
- add the parsley and chili, cook for a further 2 minutes
- add the broccoli and cook covered for 2-3 minutes
- mix in the potato
- transfer to an oven-proof dish (as pictured)
- pour over the egg mixture, sprinkle with cheese
- bake in a moderate oven for 30-40 minutes until browned on top
- This dish was baked in the oven, however it can be cooked up in a frying pan with a metal handle, skip step 7 and add the eggs to the mixture in the frying pan. Cook till almost firm, then place under the grill to brown the top.
- You can replace the sweet potato with regular white potato, and the broccoli with any other green vegetable you prefer. It also works well with potato, mushroom and tomato as the vegetable combination.
- Include a pre-cooked puff pastry base to turn this into a quiche. Traditionally quiche doesn't normally have potato, however this is an essential to include for the athlete to add carbohydrate and ensure it is a great recovery meal.
Tags: EGG, MAIN COURSE, SPANISH, SWEET POTATO, VEGETABLE